If one is going to spend the weekend drinking like a fish, then it’s only proper for one to eat like a fish, too.
DVH and I spent the weekend in Syracuse to celebrate an old friend’s birthday. A surprise party, hilarity, and drinking games ensued. I might still be recovering.
Since we were traveling in from about four hours away I wasn’t responsible for much other than ordering the cake and bringing a snack to share. I chose to make a snack mix that I’ve put together a hundred times before, but never get sick of: Fish Food.
Fish Food is usually something we pack to take with us down the shore, or enjoy on the back patio with a happy hour drink in the summer. It’s easy to make but hard to stop eating.
Start by mixing up a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix, a bit of dill, garlic powder, and vegetable oil.
Using the largest jellyroll pan that you have, spread out oyster crackers and then drizzle the dressing over them. Swirl around to coat before you place the pan in the oven for 8 minutes.
Bring the pan out of the oven and add the goldfish and the honey mustard pretzel pieces. Give the whole thing a gentle but effective stir (really scrape the bottom of the pan!) and put it back in the oven for a final 8 minutes.
This makes a large amount of fish food and should be kept in an air tight container or in big, freezer size, zip lock bags.
1 pkg. oyster crackers (12-16 oz.)
- 1 pkg. oyster crackers (12-16 oz.)
- 1 pkg. cheddar goldfish
- 1 pkg. Snyders of Hanover Honey Mustard & Onion Pretzel Pieces
- 1 pkg. dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
- ½ tsp. dill
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Combine the dressing mix with the oil.
- Add seasonings and stir.
- Spread the oyster crackers evenly in a jelly roll pan (large, with sides).
- Pour the dressing over the oyster crackers.
- Stir to coat and place in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in goldfish and pretzel pieces.
- Place back in the oven for 8 minutes longer.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir well.
- Store in an air tight container.